As a Charitable Organisation growing locally and abroad, from time to time different opportunities arise for volunteer services, specific temporary assignments and staffing vacancies. If Ascension Trust inspires you and you would like to work with us, please see our current openings below or send us your thoughts and CV to email@example.com and as the need arises we will contact you.
ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
Ascension Trust (AT) is a Registered Charity founded by Reverend Les Isaac OBE in 1993 with a mission to empower the church to respond effectually to the call of being “salt and light” in their community, city and nation. As a Christian inter-denominational organisation with an emphasis on faith working through love, Ascension Trust seeks to improve the quality of life of the disadvantaged and vulnerable irrespective of background or belief.
Ascension Trust operates as the umbrella body for Street Pastors, School & College Pastors, Prayer Pastors, Urban Mission and several other projects locally and abroad.
Ascension Commercial Ltd (ACom) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AT and serves to source and sell uniforms to all local Street Pastors Initiatives and to develop other merchandise to promote the work of AT.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To support the CEO and the Trustee Treasurer in the management of AT and ACom finances including the drafting of budgets, financial controls, monitoring income and expenditure, identifying and monitoring KPIs, ensuring correct entry of all financial transactions on a day-to-day basis, cash management, reporting to the CEO, Trustees and Senior Management Team on a regular basis, and assisting in the development of effective fund-raising strategies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsibility for the day-to-day financial management of AT and ACom including cash management, purchases day book, banking, BACS payments using Sage Line 50; raising sales invoices; reconciling monies received against orders/invoices; controlling and reconciling petty cash; processing staff expenses and company credit cards.
- Carrying out month end routines including bank reconciliations, sales and purchase ledger reconciliations; the production of monthly management accounts, variance analysis, reports, Income & Expenditure Statement, Balance Sheet, cash flow Projections and monitoring of capital expenditure.
- Providing the necessary information and supporting the preparation of AT’s and ACom’s annual budget and financial targets.
- Overseeing insurances and risk management.
- Coordinating the system for consolidated monthly reporting to the Senior Management Team and quarterly reporting to the Board of Trustees; demonstrating leadership skills in liaising with stakeholders, internally and externally; reviewing and evaluating the accounting systems; advising on the acquisition of adequate software packages where necessary; administering Gift Aid and managing the donor database.
- Management of AT’s staff pension scheme and auto enrolment to the NEST scheme.
- Preparation and submission of annual compliance returns, accounts and reports to the Charity Commission, Companies House and HMRC and ensuring that the regulatory requirements of all statutory bodies are met.
- Coordinating year-end audit processes with the external auditor.
- Overseeing the occasional financial auditing of AT initiatives.
- Line management of other Finance Department and ACom staff, including conducting 1-to-1
reviews and performance appraisals. Line management of Finance Department volunteers.
Essential Skills and Competencies:
- A recognized CCAB or ACCA professional accountancy qualification with hands on experience of carrying out day-to-day computerised financial record keeping using Sage Line 50, ensuring integrity of data and systems and month end runs.
- Experience in the set-up and preparation of financial and management accounts, internal and external audits and the preparation and submission of statutory reports and accounts, in compliance with SORP accounting guidelines.
- Working knowledge of preparing budgets and producing the financial data required in funding applications, keeping of a Grant Register, maintaining individual grant expenditure records in accordance with grant monitoring requirements; understanding the full cost recovery process.
- An understanding of the full cost recovery process and/or working with grant-awarding bodies.
- Practical ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing and over the telephone with a wide variety of people, churches and organisations under the AT umbrella.
- The ability to anticipate the impact of workload, work to tight deadlines and have a very positive work attitude, including willingness to work some longer hours during peak periods.
- Strong experience in income statement analysis.
- Advanced skills in Excel.
- Experience of running a payroll.
- The ability to identify and implement plans for own training and development needs.
- Effective planning and time management skills.
- A committed Christian (as an occupational requirement permitted under Schedule 9, Par 1 of the Equality Act 2010) who subscribes to the AT mission, goals and values, able to work effectively across the sensitivities and cultures of different Christian denominations, able to contribute to the spiritual life of the AT Head Office team by leading devotions and prayers.
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Experience of working in the ‘Third Sector’ and an understanding of the specific financial issues faced by charities including compliance with regulatory requirements of company and charity law.
- Understanding of equalities and diversity best practice and legislative requirements in relation to service delivery, business development and recruitment of staff and volunteers.
- The ability to work effectively within a Christian framework and to be sensitive to its various expressions across cultures and denominations.
Salary: £27,000 – £29,000 depending on experience
Closing date: Friday 15 December 2017
To apply: Please request an application form by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, by telephone on 020 8330 2809, or by writing to Ascension Trust, Alpha House, Alpha Place, Garth Road, Morden, London, SM4 4TQ.